Project Title: Mitrovica Environmental Forum and Research Platform (INFORM)
Project Duration: August 19th, 2019 – May 20th 2020
INFORM is a project implemented by IBC-M, granted by UNDP Kosovo, whose goal is to provide accurate and credible information to citizens of Mitrovica and the region on current environmental situation and issues troubling the town, and ways to protect themselves and our environment. https://www.ibcmitrovica.eu/inform/
The main objective of the project is to develop a city in which citizens are aware and concerned about environmental problems and issues associated with them, with the commitment to work collectively or individually towards finding solutions to the current problems and possible future problems.
In order to achieve the main objective, the project will focus on the specific objectives listed below:
- Establish forum for enhanced cooperation between local authorities, education institutions, NGO’s and CSO’s engaged in the Environment Sector
- Involve youth participants from the city of Mitrovica in public activities related to environmental protection and promotion of environmentally friendly solutions.
- Build an online platform to increase knowledge and understanding of environment and environmental challenges and keep the general public updated on current situation of the environment and events held by different stakeholders related to environment.
- Conduct outreach to at least 10,000 stakeholders through platform and social media about the environmental research activities, as well as constant updates on air, soil and water quality
- Youth of the Mitrovica region
- Municipality workers
- NGOs, CSOs
- Public in general.
- Planning and preparation – Detailed activity plan to be prepared. Main stakeholders are identified and contacted. Project management teams are established.
- Development: project related activities are implemented.
- Forum – 3 Forums will be organized throughout the project. The forums will take place in the IBC-M Riverside and Riverview campuses, and each forum will involve up to 20 stakeholders such as: representatives from the Municipalites of Mitrovica region, IBC-M Professors, alumni of Environmental and Agricultural Management, business representatives, representatives from NGOs involved and guests (environmental researchers, diaspora). The forums will last for up to four hours and will be led by IBC-M Professor Jelena Djokic. They will start with the introduction of the main environmental issues Mitrovica is facing currently, results obtained by measurements of air, EMF radiation, soil and water analysis, followed by discussions of the issues, possible solutions and exchange of knowledge among participants.
- Online Platform – It is an awareness and knowledge raising website, linking all environmental bodies, which will present educational articles related to environment, displaying best eco-friendly practices around the world, present critical points that need immediate actions. The platform also will highlight all events related to environment and allow people to sign up for participating in the activities. Another important part of the platform consists of the visualization of the results gathered from the air quality measuring units from the air quality measuring units which are available and updated for the public 24/7, measurements of soil and water analysis and EMF radiation are available as well. Further the platform allows the citizens to express their concerns and ideas for improvement of the current situation.
- IBC-M Environment Test Lab Establishment-In addition to its own air quality measure units and EMF radiation instrument, water and soil testing equipment are procured, supporting it with the testing/research results. IBC-M students/ researchers are involved into testing activities, and upload of the results online. IBC-M students thus have an opportunity to support the public with the relevant information, enhance their research capabilities and be part of the data which helps to take relevant environment protection decisions.
- Dissemination-all project activities are outreached to all the involved stakeholders
- Close cooperation between all stakeholders is established;
- Aware and concerned citizens committed to working towards improving environmental conditions;
- Environmental researchers have a hub to publish their results and recommendations;
- Public actively participates in decisions, lobbying, advocacy activities;
- Participation of public of Mitrovica in activities related to environmental protection and promotion of environmentally friendly solutions is enhanced.
|August 16th||Planning and preparation||IBC-M||Project management||All project staff||Defined roles|
|August 20th||Procurement of testing equipment||IBC-M||IBC-M Environment Lab Establishment||IBC-M EAM Professors and Students||Installed testing equipment for air, water and soil|
|September – ongoing||Social Media Campaign||IBC-M||Mitrovica Environment||IBC-M Students||Successful Social Media Campaign|
|October 15th||First Forum||IBC-M||Environmental challenges in Mitrovica and possible solutions to overcome them||IBC-M Professors||Stakeholders ready to cooperate. Defined environmental issues and possible solutions, also online platform outline|
|October 10th||Online platform||IBC-M||Online platform||IBC-M IT together with the students||Launched online platform|
|October 20th – ongoing||Online platform testing/research activities||IBC-M||Online platform maintenance||IBC-M PM, students||Testing results/research, environment related information is uploaded|
|March 25th and 26th||Second Forum||IBC-M||Environmental challenges in Mitrovica and possible solutions to overcome them||IBC-M Professors||Stakeholders ready to cooperate. Defined environmental issues and possible solutions.|
|May||Third Forum||IBC-M||Environmental challenges in Mitrovica and possible solutions to overcome them||IBC-M Professors||Stakeholders cooperating. Working on environmental issues and possible solutions.|
|May 30th||Evaluation and feedback||IBC-M||Reports||All project participants||Final Report|